A Pathfinder for 3rd and 4th Grades
How much do you know about the state in which you live? What animal graces our state flag? What can you say about the state government? Do you know the state flower? What about the other flora and fauna that exist in our state? Where can a person go for entertainment in our state?
If you would like to learn more about Missouri, follow the links on this pathfinder. It will help you find information in your school library media center, on the Internet, and in the community about Missouri.
I. Print Resources-Books and Magazines
There are several excellent books about Missouri. A few of the books are listed below. To locate more books, use the suggested keywords and phrases to search the online library catalog.
· Boekhoff, P. M. (2006). Missouri. Milwaukee, WI: Gareth Stevens
· Couch, E. (Ed.). (1992). Missouri trivia. Nashville, TN: Rutledge Hill
· Heinrichs, A. (2006). Missouri. Chanhassen, MN: Child's World.
· Kummer, P. K. (1998). Missouri. Mankato, MN: Capstone Press.
· McAuliffe, E. (2000). Missouri facts and symbols. Mankato, MN: Hilltop
· Murray, J. (2006). Missouri . Edina, MN: Abdo Publishing Company.
· Thompson, B. (1992). Famous missourians. New York, NY: Carlton
· Young, J. (2003). Missouri curiosities: Quirky characters, roadside
oddities & other offbeat stuff. Guilford, CT: The Globe Pequot
· Young, J. (2001). S is for show me: A missouri alphabet. Chelsea, MI:
Sleeping Bear Press.
· (1998). In Missouri atlas and gazetteer: Topo maps of the entire state,
backroads, outdoor recreation Yarmouth, ME: DeLorme
· Blunt, R. (1985). Constitution: State of missouri. Jefferson City, MO:
Office of the Secretary of State.
· Gille, F. H. . (Ed.). (1985). The encyclopedia of Missouri (2nd ed.), St.
Clair Shores, MI: Somerset Publishers.
· Greene, C. (2000). M is for missouri. St. Charles, MO: GHB Publishers,
· Jacobs, B. (2001). Birds in missouri. Jefferson City, MO: Missouri
Department of Conservation.
· Johnson, T. R. (2000). The amphibians and reptiles of missouri. Jefferson
City, MO: Missouri Department of Conservation.
· Leverenz, J.. (Ed.). (1994). Missouri. In Rand mcnally children's atlas of
the united states Chicago, IL: Rand McNally.
· McGeveran, W.. (Ed.). (2001). Missouri. In 21st century atlas of the
united states, canada, & the world Milwaukee, WI: Gareth Stevens
· Pflieger, W. L. (1997). The fishes of missouri. Jefferson City, MO:
· Richard, J. & J. E. Heitzman (1996). Butterflies and moths of missouri.
Jefferson City, MO: Missouri Department of Conservation.
· Rubel, D.. (Ed.). (2000). Missouri. In Scholastic atlas of the united states
New York, NY: Scholastic.
· Thornton, L. W. (Ed.). (1991). The missouri quick-fact book. Topeka,
KS: Capper Press.
· unknown author, (2001, April). Did you know this about missouri?.
Monkeyshines on America, Missouri Issue, 34-36.
II. Online Resources--Internet Sites
The Web sites listed on this page have been previewed and selected for this topic. If additional information is needed, use the suggested keywords and phrases to search the Internet.
· (2008). Retrieved April 7, 2008, from Missouri Department of Conservation
Web site: http://mdc.mo.gov/
· Missouri Division of Tourism, Retrieved April 7, 2008, from Missouri Web
· (2008). Missouri: Show me missouri. Retrieved April 7, 2008, from
50States.com Web site: http://www.50states.com/missouri.htm
· State of Missouri, Retrieved April 7, 2008, from Show-Me Missouri Web site:
III. Multimedia Resources
Our library has the following multimedia resources on your topic:
· Bonne terre mine, missouri: Deep earth diving adventure. Videocassette.
Bonne Terre Mines, 2002.
· Furbearers of missoui. Dir. Glenn D. Chambers. Videocassette. Missouri
Department of Conservation, 1997.
IV. Dewey Decimal Numbers to Browse
If you want to browse the shelves in the library to locate information about Missouri, look for these numbers:
· R595 – R598
· 976 – 977
V. Keywords and Phrases for Searching
Do you need additional information? Try using these words and phrases to search a magazine index, the library online catalog, online or print encyclopedias or the World Wide Web:
· Emblems, state--Missouri
· Missouri—Community Life
· Show-Me State
VI. Community Resources-People and Places
The following community contacts may help you with your topic:
Missouri Department of Natural Resources
Division of State Parks
P.O. Box 176
Jefferson City, MO 65102
· Missouri Division of Tourism
P.O. Box 1055
Jefferson City, MO 65102
· Nancy Graham
Title I Writing Teacher and Missouri Native for over 50 years.
(636) 789-0000 ext. 4325
Hillsboro Elementary School
13 Hawk Drive
Hillsboro, MO 63050
Modified from Wenatchee School District template, for original see: http://home.wsd.wednet.edu/pathfinders/template_pathfinder.htm